domingo, 13 de septiembre de 2015

Gimli's (well, not really) opinion on science

Today I went to The Scandinavian Sci-Fi, Game & Film Convention in Uppsala and had a great time with my friends. The highlight of the evening was Mr. John Rhys-Davies, which I basically know simply as Gimli, son of Glóin, from the Lord of the Rings movies. I was deeply excited about exchanging a few words and getting his autograph for my father, who introduced me to the books when I was 11 years old. While Mr. Rhys-Davies looks nothing like Gimli, of course (the miracles of makeup), his voice is AMAZING.

I was with my friend Sergio when I bought a picture of Gimli (freaking expensive, 250 SEK) for Mr. Rhys-Davies to sign. Before us, a Swedish guy brought his kids to him. Mr Rhys-Davies asked what he did for a living, and the guy replied that he was a history teacher. It turns out, Mr. Rhys-Davies loves history and talked quite a lot about it with him. Finally, when it was our turn Mr. Rhys-Davies asked about us, and Sergio replied that we are scientists (yeaaaah). He turned out to be an absolute lover of science and he invited us to check out a NASA (or something) program founded by Carl Sagan that is recruiting all sorts of scientists, including biologist like ourselves. He then proceed to talk about science in general and how there is a portion of science that is wrongly made. He actually cited a paper where the author deliberately cherry-picked information to support his thesis. He even got a bit excited, saying how "those bastards [that produce bad science] should be crucified, and upside down for that matter!"... I was confused... and way too excited, too distracted by the fact that his voice belonged to freaking Gimli...and in general the strong views that he was expressing about science! He then kindly apologized for getting too excited (with a wonderful british accent), and we just laughed for a good while after shaking his hand and saying goodbye. In any case he gave me a wonderful autograph. No doubts, a super interesting character of a men.

(The autograph will be a Christmas present for my dad :P)

No hay comentarios: